The Mom Stays in the Picture - The Huffington Post
Today I read this really awesome article from a very honest and real mom. I would encourage you to read it. By the end of it, let's be serious, a few sentences in, I was crying. It got me thinking about what it means to be a mom and what it means to "stay in the picture." So here are some thoughts:
1. Let go.
Let go of all the preconceived notions of being a mom, the have to's and should's, the million and one books and websites that say what you are doing today will scar your child for life, the guilt of not doing enough...let go and entrust our family to God. He loves me and my baby girl and has the perfect plan. Let go.
2. Be silly.
Do funny dances, play games, tell stories in silly voices, sing songs in my off key voice in the grocery store and don't care what others think, make toys out of card board boxes...be silly and let Sadie be silly.
3. Don't worry about the mirror.
I have struggled with self image for a long time. I had an eating disorder thru high school and part of college. The mirror was my enemy. When I look in the mirror I see messy hair, circles under my eyes, spit up on my shirt but Sadie sees my smile and the love in my eyes. That's what matters. I don't want to worry about the mirror. I want to be an example for Sadie and for her to know that she is beautiful inside and out and to be confident in who God made her to be.
4. Take pictures with Sadie.
I want to take the advice of this woman and take pictures with my baby girl, lots and lots of pictures no matter what I am wearing or how I feel I look. I want us to have memories and photos together of those memories. I have already fallen into the don't take my picture trap because of I hadn't had a chance to do my hair or make up or get out of my pajamas or insert excuse here. I haven't wanted to take pictures because I know I don't want people to see me like that on Facebook. Today I want to accept this woman's challenge, take pictures with my precious baby girl and smile.
To all you mommas and future mommas out there, you sparkle inside and out! Take pictures and create memories. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment